To mark 18 months of successful joint working, a Midsummer picnic and barbecue was held for the Dundee and Tayside Green Groups on 21 July 2015 at Crombie Country Park in Angus. The weather failed to play its part, but the event was a success nevertheless, thanks in particular to the organisational work of Kate and Eddie, the music of Still Standing Still, and the unlikely effectiveness of the gazebo which kept the rain off the barbecues as well as some of those taking part.
Not all the planned activities were possible in the conditions, but Eddie and Kate managed to set up the water-powered rockets, with kit supplied by Dundee Science Centre, which amazed the onlookers as various people had a go at pumping up the pressure. Martin Groves and his brother demonstrated the amazing aerial photography capabilities of the quadcopter without it leaving the marquee. We even managed an informal discussion about future priorities for the Green Groups over the coming months: energy; biodiversity; sustainable travel.
Amazingly the barbecues produced a steady supply of well-cooked meat and veggie items to accompany the rolls and salads.
Thanks to all those who sponsored and supported the event:
- Vegware for the compostable cutlery
- Sainsbury’s and the Co-operative for supplies of charcoal
- Tesco for Fair Trade tea and coffee
- Still Standing Still for the music and electricity to make it possible
- Dundee Science Centre for the water rocket equipment
- Rough & Fraser for rolls
- Martin Groves for the quadcopter demo
- The Crombie Countryside Rangers for all their help
- And of course everyone from the Green Groups, their friends and families, for coming along and making it such an enjoyable event.